We bet you didn’t know these 7 weird facts about our beloved fruit cake?
- Fruit cakes were buried with the dead in Ancient Egypt
- Fruit cakes contained candied fruit because at the time sugar was the only way to preserve the fruit for long enough to get it back to Europe from Asia
- Fruit cakes can be kept for many years without spoiling
- There is a fruit cake festival in Colorado called the Great Fruitcake Toss. Lots of fruit cake related competitions take place including a throwing contest and even a contest to make a little car out of fruitcake!
- The first mail-order fruitcake company started in America in 1913
- The oldest fruit cake known to be in existence has been kept by the Ford family in Ohio, USA since 1878!
Would you believe it!